We seen Jackie Chan in different movies but we haven’t seen him in a film like this. ‘The Foreigner’ touches a subject that you guess been done before but mainly by Hollywood. ‘The Foreigner’ takes place in London in the start of the film, Quan is a single dad with a teenage daughter owning a Chinese takeaway. He’s been a citizen in Britain since 1980’s. He drives his daughter to a shop so she can buy her dress for the school dance.
Quan seems like a nice, loving & devoted father. She runs in to the shop while he parks. Little to their knowing, someone places a bomb. It goes off. Quan get’s mildly injured but his daughter, not so lucky. She dies on impact and he is besides himself. All he wants from here is to know the names of the people who places the bomb. IRA takes credit for the attack.
Quan travels to Belfast to talk to Liam Hennesy – a Irish government official, who’s also a former IRA member. But you are never really former are you? Quan knows he knows the names or has a hunch who it could be but Mr Hennesy refuses to give out the names for he is hunting the people too. But Quan got a set of skills that no one saw coming. It starts small. A bomb in his office as a warning but then they get bigger.
Quan is a former special forces in Chinese Army so that sets a little scare in Liam Hennesy. At the same time Liam have to deal with Quan he also has to find out who detonated the bombs. British government and Irish are desperate to find out but who finds the people first?
‘The Foreigner’ is a really good crime drama from Jackie Chan. We could see he still does his own stunts, in his age, it couldn’t have been easy to say the least. But he delivered a brilliant performance. We see Pierce Brosnan as Liam Hennesy and I have to say, this is one of his better roles. Highly recommended.
Who are the actors in this film and where do we know them from?
- Katie Leung – Fan (Harry Potter -franchise. Father Brown. T2. One Child)
- Jackie Chan – Quan Ngoc Minh (Karate Kid, Shanghai Noon, Rush Hour, Who am I)
- Rufus Jones – Ian Wood (The Casual Vacancy, W1A, The Ghoul. Tracy Ullman’s Show)
- Mark Tandy – Simpson (The Crown, Bidget Jones, Maurice, Dad’s Army, Silent Witness)
- Aaron Monaghan – Pat Nugent (Assasins Creed, Vikings, Pan, Patrick’s Day, Jack Taylor: Priest)
- Pierce Brosnan – Liam Hennessy (The World Isnt Enough, Tomorrow Never Dies, Mama Mia, IT)
- Charlie Murphy – Maggie/Sara McKay (Philomena, The Village, Happy Valley)
- Orla Brady – Mary Hennessy (Fringe, Sinbad, Mistresses, Servants, Into the Badlands)
Who is the director and what is she/he known for?
Martin Campbell, born in New Zealand 1943, he’s the man behind so many excellent movies such as Casino Royale, The Mask of Zorro, Edge of Darkness, Warriors. If you haven’t checked out his work yet, you should.