If you ever seen ‘Pitch Perfect’ or ‘Drumline’ and loved it then you would love ‘Step Sisters’. Same creators who wrote and directed ‘Pitch Perfect’ and ‘Drumline’ created ‘Step Sisters’ and this one surprised me in good way. It’s funny, clever and the clap back the movie contains are absolutely perfect.
Jamilah, a well accomplished young college girl with a bright future. She works part-time in the Dean’s office. She’s the President of her sorority, captain of the sorority’s Stepping team. Her plans are to go to Harvard Law with her boyfriend. She got her entire life figured out until it’s about to get a little turned upside down.
Jamilah is friends with another girl from a different sorority house, Beth, a spunky girl with lots of humor. She agrees to go with Beth to her sorority party thinking it might be safe and gets ‘white girl drunk’, she’s having fun until a girl from said sorority is caught having sex in the bushes, it gets filmed and spread on the internet. So now, this sorority is on the verge of getting disbarged, UNLESS… Jamilah help them with a charity step contest so she can get her Harvard Law recommendation from the Dean who’s a alumni.
As she trains the girls she also noticing some set back with her boyfriend and with other girls from sorority she’s trying to help. They aren’t exactly taking it seriously. And then… all of the sudden.. picture’s from Jamilah’s drunken night gets leaked and here’s where all goes to shit. Jamilah loses her job, her boyfriend – well she left him, she loses her own sorority by them being judgemental about white girls doing Step. Jamilah decides to leave the college and continue her last class online. But then truth comes out of who leaked the photo’s and I have to say… no surprise but Jamilah’s reaction is the best.
‘Step Sisters’ are one of the funniest I’ve seen. We see girls coming together to save their house. With some minor setbacks. ‘Step Sisters’ is a film anyone can see really, well I’d say no children because alcohol and sexual references. If you would need a cheer me up, then this one is definitely recommended.
Who are the actors in this film and where do we know them from?
- Megalyn Echikunwoke – Jamilah (House of Lies, That’s 70’s Show, 24, CHIPS)
- Eden Sher – Beth (Veronica Mars, The Middle, Weeds, The Outcasts, Sing It)
- Lyndon Smith – Danielle ( Parenthood, White Famous, Secret In Their Eyes, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend)
- Gage Golightly – Libby ( Teen Wolf, 5ive Days til Midnight, Cabin Fever, The Troop)
- Alessandra Torresani – Amber (The Big Bang Theory, American Horror Story, Two and a half Men, Outlaw)
- Nia Jervier – Saundra (Dear White People, La La Land)
- Marque Richardson – Kevin ( Dear White People, True Blood, Rosewood, All the Way, Dating Daisy)
Who is the director and what is she/he known for?
Charles Stone III best known for his work of Drumline (2002), Paid in Full (2002), Lila & Eve (2015).